More than just foot drop
Advanced use of FES for patients with neurological conditions.
A two day master class at Birkdale Neuro Rehab Centre. 20th and 21st Oct 2018.
Finally after months of organisation here we were on 20th Oct the first day of Advanced FES master class.
The sun shun the whole of the weekend and attendees and the presenters alike felt relaxed and happy to be participating in the master class.
Dr Daniel Becker as usual delivered an excellent presentation which was extremely well received. We are very lucky to have this long standing association(more than ten years) with Daniel Becker and his wealth of knowledge and experience.
Farshideh Bondarenko delivered a presentation on the Role of NMES in Neurorehabilitation. As a consequence of her talk there were various request for courses on Cerebellum, hand and eye coordination and eye movement.
Tia Nott presented on the Potential of FES in Parkinsons neurotherapy. Followed by Matt White and Kirsten Hart introducing the audience to multichannel FES and Xcitre FES rehabilitation station.
Dr Tamsyn Street presented on Abdominal Functional Electrical Stimulation for Bowel management in neurological population.
Lynn Vale and Catarina Carvalho presented on FES to manage orthostatic hypotension during endurance training in SCI population.
Richard Welsh from Remotion delivered a very informative presentation of Sub-threshold Electrical Stimulation, Neurorehabilitation with Mollii Suit.
Here are some of the comments from the participants:
- “Thank you for creating a very welcoming, open and friendly atmosphere. The refreshment was great”.
- “I would be more than happy to attend other courses, as well as informing colleagues”. Sally
- “Would definitely recommend this course to others”.
- “Always a pleasure to attend courses @birkdale. Atmosphere and ambiance very conducive to absorbing knowledge both practically and mentally with no worries to asking silly questions. Plenty of water to drink and food excellent”
- “It was a really interesting and useful course-one of the best I have been on for a long time. I just wish my colleagues were here to spur on debate, practice etc when back home.”
- “I would like to say thank you to everyone who made this course possible. The food was fantastic and the enthusiasm of everyone made learning extremely enjoyable.”
- “Thank you for an information packed two day course re FES theory and practice. I’ve learned loads and I am more confident to go out there and start trying things out as I start FES service. Very inspired and lots of tips and evidence to try to explore more” Lucy
- Good food, Well organised, Very friendly people”
- “Thank you for your help in helping me attend at the last minute. Everyone who spoke seemed extremely knowledgeable/skilled. I wish I could come and work here”